Travel Information

We would recommend that you visit the Visit Canada – to confirm what you will need to
travel to Canada. Here is a quick review of the travel documents needed for non-Canadians
entering Canada Passports.

Citizens and permanent residents of the United States

  • Citizens of the United States need a valid U.S. passport to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport.
  • Citizens of the United States coming to Canada by car, bus, train or boat need to carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada.
  • Citizens of the United States who are also Canadian citizens should bring a valid Canadian passport and a valid U.S. passport or travel document to board a flight from the Unites States to Canada. Carrying both documents may help simplify both your entry into Canada and your return to the United States.
  • Permanent residents of the United States need a valid Alien Registration Card and a passport to enter Canada.
Visitor Visas and Electronic Travel Authorizations

Most non-Canadians need either a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada, but not both. Some people may only need a valid passport.

Find out if you need a visa or an eTA to enter Canada

You may need to get a visa before arriving in Canada. Visas are issued by Canadian government offices abroad. Not all of these offices have visa officers, but those that do not will direct you to the nearest visa office.

If you don’t need a visa to travel to Canada, you will likely need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to, or transit through, a Canadian airport.

Find out about Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Visiting Canada

If you are planning to visit Canada, Destination Canada provides information about planning a trip, from booking resources to getting around while you are here. It also has information on where to go and what to see and do, so you can make the most of your stay.