Throughout the Gathering, our Kaumātua (Elders, and Senior Citizens) will enjoy a programme of sharing and networking with each other, with regular daily activities that will include aspects of care, support and initiatives of interest specifically catering for Kaumātua - Elders.
A designated space for Kaumātua and network to gather during the Gathering is available where there will be cultural performances and Māori artists displaying their craft, a light exercise class, storytelling - pūrākau, Māori traditional forms of massage - mirimiri and healing – rongoā.
The Kaumātua – Elders Program includes the following (daily) activities:
- Mirimiri – body massage by experienced Māori traditional experts
- Rongoā –Māori traditional healing includes the use of native herbs, plants and native trees. Healers and other tohunga in this field will be readily available at the Gathering
- Pakiwaitara /Pūrākau - Traditional Māori histories and stories including Papatuānuku – Mother Earth, Ranginui – Sky Father and Māui one of their children.
- Harakeke – Māori weaving experts will be displaying their crafts and weaving processes at the gathering
- Waiata – participate in learning a waiata and haka – Māōri song and dance
- Tinana korikori – light exercises designed specifically for Kaumātua – Elders including those with disabilities and physcial restrictions
Disability transport around the venue to attend workshops and presentations will also be provided for Kaumātua. Assistance with accomodation and with special needs is available by contacting the Conference Organisers by email to email@example.com.
By registering under the Kaumātua Registration rate on the online registration site you will automatically have access to the Kaumātua - Elders programme at no additional cost.
A Unique Māori Community Service for Kaumātua Tuesday 17th November 2015 10.00am - 2.00pm
The Rauawaawa Kaumātua Charitable Trust was established in 1997 by a group of Kaumātua that identified a need for Kaumātua (55 years and over) culturally focussed, appropriate and accessible health, social and community based activities and services. The overarching aim being to, enhance the quality of life and well-being of Kaumātua. Today it continues to operate as a unique Kaumātua governed and led organisation serving elders within the Kirikiriroa area on a daily basis as well as throughout Aotearoa during annual events such as the Kaumātua Olympics.
We are delighted to announce there a 50 spaces available for Kaumatua / Elders attending The Seventh Gathering to join in with the Rauawaawa Kaumātua and experience their interactive Kaumātua led programme but be warned apart from beautiful Kaumātua you can also expect lots of laughing, singing, dancing and fun.
Location: Claudelands Conference and Exhibition Centre, Heaphy Room 2
Date: Tuesday 17 November, 10.00am - 2.00pm
Cost: $57.50 NZD incl GST
Bookings: To book on the Rauawaawa Kaumata programme please email Emma on firstname.lastname@example.org and request to have the programme added to your registration - please note credit card payment must be provided to secure your place in the programme.
Other information about Rauawaawa and some of the events and work they have done are available at these links:
10th Annual Kaumātua Olympics
Aboriginal Health Tour
Maori Health Innovation
Palliative Care and Maori Health Literacy: Kaumatua led models