Throughout the Gathering, our Kaumātua (Elders, and Senior Citizens) will enjoy an program of sharing and networking with each other, with regular daily activities that will include aspects of care, support and initiatives of interest specifically catered for Kaumātua - Elders.
A designated space for Kaumātua and network to gather during the Gathering is available where there will be cultural performances and Māori artists displaying their craft, a light exercise class, storytelling - pūrākau, Māori traditional forms of massage - mirimiri and healing – rongoā.
The Kaumātua – Elders Program includes the following (daily) activities:
- Mirimiri – body massage by experienced Māori traditional experts
- Rongoā –Māori traditional healing includes the use of native herbs, plants and native trees. Healers and other tohunga in this field will be readily available at the Gathering
- Pakiwaitara /Pūrākau - Traditional Māori histories and stories including Papatuānuku – Mother Earth, Ranginui – Sky Father and Māui one of their children.
- Harakeke – Māori weaving experts will be displaying their crafts and weaving processes at the gathering
- Waiata – participate in learning a waiata and haka – Māōri song and dance
- Tinana korikori – light exercises designed specifically for Kaumātua – Elders including those with disabilities and physcial restrictions
Disability transport around the venue to attend workshops and presentations will also be provided for Kaumātua. Assistance with accomodation and with special needs is available by contacting the Conference Organisers by email to email@example.com.
By registering under the Kaumatua Registration rate on the online registration site you will automatically have access to the Kaumatua - Elders programme at no additional cost.